A session after lunch on 2 March 2009 was held in APR workshop-2009 on “Experience in direct supervision and areas for improvement”.
Here are the main points made by the participants with regard to given question " 3 ways to make DS process useful for the projects", as captured by Hashib, CPO, Bangladesh:
- Better preparedness and mission planning including composition and orientation needed, also participation of local and provincial level and provision of joint review is required.
- Better preparation by PDs
- Follow up
- DS should be continuous process
- Continuity of design team as part of supervision team, with flexibility and making adjustment whenever required
- Consistency with previous mission
- Decentralize loan administration, especially WA to be processed/assisted by CPO
- Clearly defining the role of implementation and support specialists, with delegation of authority to him/her, as well as supervision mission
- Strengthen CPO with delegation of authority in some areas
- Resources in human, financial and country office to support project implementation
- Annual refresher training on financial, management, procedure and loan administration
- Right composition of mission members aiming to develop empathy with implementation, organization and beneficiaries.
- Abolished traditional supervision mission, moving towards continuous facilitation by country office
- Demand driven support, linked M&E system in SM system
- Prior to implementation (harmonization, training and country context to be considered).
- Involvement of national representatives (central govt), IFAD financial staff and co-financiers.
- Feed back from community to IFAD and SM to community through project
- Composition of SM should be complementary to the project coordination team
- Coordination with key line deptt and the project, community participation in the project cycle
- Discuss the problems with govt & donors.
Expectation and Result Check (interviewed by Mariam, CPO, Indonesia):
Expectation before the Session:
- how to enhance DS to be more effective for the country context
- solutions to problems encountered by the project in implementing effective (DS Azama, Project Director from Maldives: )
- Insight on how to improve DS (Swarna, Project Director, India)
After group discussion:
- the discussion is very useful
- we learnt new ideas from other country experience in conducting DS. (China team )