Experience in direct supervision and areas for improvement - everybody's involved
The tone of the workshop was set by three wonderful presentations by Deepak Mohanty , Anura and Shankar. Imran saw his views vindicated when Jebun nahar ultimately doned the mantle of the "participatory stalinist". The presentations delivered the following key messages:
- Country Office has a crucial role in terms of conducting missions, timely implementation support and regular follow up.
- Good Practices include, Govt. participation and ownership of the supervision process, internalising learnings and supervision linked with implementation support.
- Financial Management, KM and project risk assessment remain a key area of concern.
The following issues were raised during the lively discussion with serious tones and baritones :
- There is a perhaps an overemphasis on fiduciary aspects rather than substantive issues.
- The level of participation of Govt. viz; federal, state, local determines the impact on policy .
- Differences between Govt. and IFAD procurement guidelines often results in audit observations.
- Supervision Missions need to look at substantive issues like relevance, effectiveness and impact of activities rather than just progress monitoring.
- Need to build Financial Management capacity of the Country Office.
Enjoy the photos of IFAD in action during this session. Watch the powerpoint presentations: