In 2002, the International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD) organized the international conference "Celebrating Mountain Women," as the only global event during the International Year of Mountains to focus on mountain women in the context of sustainable mountain development. It brought together 250 participants from 35 countries around the world.
A decade later, globalization, climate change and other drivers of change are creating new challenges and opportunities for women and men living in mountain areas. In light of these changes Bhutan+10 will bring together various stakeholders, including a sizable IFAD delegation.
Topics will include
• Set new agendas for gender-positive change
• Share knowledge on gender and natural resource management
• Focus on inclusive ways of integrating gender analysis, methodologies, and best practices into sustainable mountain development
• Take critical stock of the fragmentation, successes and challenges of gender ‘mainstreaming’ efforts
• Address lack of traction and unequal power relations
• Share innovative adaptation strategies in which women and men are negotiating their own futures in culturally specific mountain contexts
Photos courtesy ICIMOD.
Bhutan + 10 web page
Tweets by @Bhutanplus10