Now let's go back to our story. I am sure you are dying to know what was the reward for the World Café participants!!! Hang in there, it is coming.
I had made a deal with the Eastern and Southern Africa colleagues who participated in the World Café to reconvene at 8:00am so that we could finalize the workplans as they had to present the draft plans during the plenary session to their Western and Central Africa colleagues.
Thanks to the adrenalin I woke up at 4am. I did some work and by 6:00am I was ready to go! I packed my stuff and made my way to the meeting room to get ready for another exciting day.
My first chore was to unpack the two boxes.
I opened the first box and pulled out the a mug which had a beautiful picture of massai tribe, the next one I pulled out was a swahili dictionary, there were others with beautiful pictures of the big five. I am so sorry I did not take a picture of each and every mug!!!
Often when we talk about KM, there is always someone who asks what are the incentives to engage in KM activities or asks the question "what is my incentive to share knowledge".
Well, my mentor Nancy was right.... you need to celebrate your successes. This small gesture made the experience of World Café participants more memorable and made my task of regrouping them to finish the workplans easier!!
Prior to the workshop, Miriam, Helen and I had suggested that as part of the overall networking it would be a good idea to have a joint session to set the tone and agree on common expectations. We had discussed that this joint session could be used to collectively come up with some priorities, exchange information and knowledge. This was not deemed useful by all concerned.
During the plenary session representatives from Western and Central Africa and Eastern and Southern Africa presented their action plans and list of priority activities for the following three key components:
Capacity building action plans: Western and Central Africa | Eastern and Southern Africa
- Knowledge harvesting action plans: Western and Central Africa | Eastern and Southern Africa
- Policy dialogue action plans: Western and Central Africa | Eastern and Southern Africa
I also ended up doing an impromptu synthesis for our guest of honour. I really deserved my red glass of wine at the end of the day.
That is all for now, good bye and good nite. A domani